Thursday, September 22, 2011

SC ED 353- Cultural Diorama

Gospel, Games, and Family Gatherings: A Utah Girl's Culture



I was given the assignment to pick three artifacts in my home that represent me socially, culturally, and ethnically. It's hard to pick just three things to try and define who I am as a person. I don't think anyone necessarily likes to be restricted and labeled that way. However, after I sorted through my priorities and thought about how I want others to perceive me, I then found ease narrowing it down to these three items.




I'm not one that likes to be categorized or labeled, but when it comes to my faith and religion, I have no problem being branded Mormon. More than anything in my life, this book and this gospel has shaped me into the person that I am. It has guided my values, my morals, and my general attitudes towards everything around me. I've grown to love the pages between these covers. This book represents my beliefs, and I hope I do it justice and can represent it well by the way I live my life.

This picture not only represents patriotic delight, but it was also chosen to express my tight knit relationship with my family. My family plays an integral part of my life. My parents have instilled in me the desire to be proud of who I am and where I come from. Just like my longing to represent the church well, I yearn to represent my family. Playing that role has become more important to me now that next generation Dorais' (pictured: nephew Kyler, 4) are learning what it means to carry the family name.


My entire life I have been called a Tom Boy. I hated it growing up, but the older I get the more I agree and the more I relish the fact that I have that crazy, deeply embedded love for sports. Outside of religion and family, sports, and basketball in particular, define who I am as a person. I don't get passionate about many hobbies. Cooking isn't my strength; I can make some pretty mean pancakes and not much else. I hate to sew with all my heart. Scrapbooking gives me bad feelings. But I can watch and read about sports with the best of them.




1 comment:

  1. Oh how I love my Do-Amiee! You are representing perfectly! And I love Tom-Boys.....cause that's my Liz too! Lunch on tap in the next few weeks...for sure! <3

    ReplyDelete